Monday, March 5, 2012

Enchiladas- Vegetarian or Low Carb or Gluten Free Versions

Hello, there and welcome to my blog! I am so glad you stopped by and hope you will follow us, make a comment, and come back to see what we are up to next! This recipe has become quite the Pinterest sensation and I am so happy to share my kitchen with all of you! 

Enchiladas are great because they are so tasty and so versatile. You can make many variations of enchiladas for almost any diet needs from gluten free, dairy free, and even vegetarian or vegan. I have made so many variations on enchiladas its kind of ridiculous. If I weren't afraid of getting sick of one of my favorite dishes, I would devote a whole blog just to variations of enchiladas. Instead I will leave the choices up to you, I hope you enjoy the endless possibilities are seriously delicious!

See more of my recipe ideas here! 
Also, if your interested, my story, my urban garden, or my inspiration, I'd love for you to stay for a minute! 


Serves 4-6   Cook time 40 mins

Ingredients:
1 fresh tomato
1 can red enchilada sauce (bigger the more you like the sauce)
1/2 sauteed onion
3 chicken breasts or 1 lb of meat of choice or 1 pkg tempeh
Flour, corn, or low carb tortillas, your choice
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Olives, fresh tomatoes and cilantro

Different Variations to try:
Creamy Enchiladas- Use 1 pkg. cream cheese to melt with chicken, but use green sauce rather than red
Red and Green Enchiladas- Use green and red sauce and mix the two
Leftover Turkey Enchiladas- Use that leftover turkey from thanksgiving for a delicious flavor
Vegetarian- Saute up some veggies to fill the tortilla and add beans of your choice, and tempeh or tofu
Vegan- Corn tortillas, sauteed veggies, beans, cooked tofu or tempeh, top with extra sauce or cheese replacement of your choice.
Low Carb and Gluten Free- Use corn tortillas rather than flour, don't use tempeh or beans

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2) Boil water in saucepan and drop in chicken, once cooked cool, add seasonings and use for filling for enchiladas. Skip this step if not using tempeh instead. If you want to make creamy enchiladas now is the time to add cream cheese.
3) Empty 1/2 of your enchilada sauce and coat the bottom of a 9x12 baking pan. Make rolled "burritos" with tempeh or chicken, cheese, a little sauce, onion, and roll up. Lay in baking pan until full.
4) Add sauce over top and coat with cheese, more onions, and olives if you so choose. Bake 30 mins, let cool for 10 before serving, Enjoy with sour cream, guacamole, and salsa, and don't forget, change it up and make them a little different everytime!!!

Let me know what you think and what you tried at home, I'd love to hear about your "takes" on enchiladas, happy cooking and as always, Thanks again for stopping by!
-Stacy


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...