Prep time: 1 hour Cook time: 20 mins Serves: 2-4
10-12 Ripe fresh tomatoes
1 bunch Fresh Basil
1/2 cup white wine
2 crushed cloves of Garlic
1 tsp of Salt
1 tsp of pepper
Fresh Italian herbs such as thyme,
HERE, Start marinara first, while its cooking down, you will work on pizza dough.
2) Cut tomatoes in half, de-seed (I don't but Italian's do) place in large saucepan on medium heat
3) Add seasonings to taste, cook for 30 mins, stirring occasionally
4) Now get started on dough and return to this project.
4 cups of 00 Flour*
1 tsp Quick rising yeast
1 Tbsp. olive Oil
2 tsp Salt
1 1/2 Water
* Use this link here to buy 00 pizza Flour from amazon, this is the flour you will want to re-create a truly Italian Pizza experience.
5) Measure out flour and lay in mixing bowl as you see in image with x in flour, makes it easier to get ingredients thoroughly mixed.
6) Stir rest of dough ingredients into flour, if it doesn't pick it all up that is ok, lay on floured board or wax paper if you don't have one.
7) Knead dough for about 5 mins.
8) Set aside to rise in a warm area with a clothe on the top, and stay quiet... shhh... for about 30-40 mins. (*Note: do not pre-separate dough, leave all together to rise)
9) Return to marinara, put in food processor or blender to make into sauce consistency slightly clumpy.
10) Return to burner on low, taste, add more seasonings at this time if needed.
11) You have a few mins right now, so start prepping your toppings. Also, you will want to preheat the oven to 425 degrees (*The hotter it is the faster it will cook, in Italy pizza is made on a brick oven so it cooks within a few mins. and the bricks creating some blacken areas on the pizza adding a rustic flavor, if you have a pizza stone put it in the oven to pre-heat too, but don't do this if you are using a baking pan.)
Traditional Toppings and Pizza Ideas:
Fresh Mozzarella slices
Fresh minced garlic
Pizza Prosciutto e Arugula
Prosciutto sliced thinly (*last 2 go on after pizza is done)
Pizza Con le Verdure
Grilled red onion, artichokes, red bell pepper, zuchinni or other squash. If you are going to make this pizza, start cutting and sauteing your veggies now. ;)
14) Once this is ready, get out hot stone from oven, add a light coat of flour. Put flattened dough on hot stone and start adding your toppings.
15) Add a light to medium coat of sauce to your pizza, I also used store bought pesto as you can see.
16) Add basil and other toppings to pizza first, then add a light coat of mozzarella, and a drizzle of olive oil to the ingredients on the pizza.
17) Put in the oven, cook about 5-10 mins, or until center is not doughy and cheese is bubbling.
Come back soon and see what we are up to next,